Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What is the theme?

I find myself torn between posting fun stuff or the reality of life, which can be fun. Maybe people come here to see cute pictures and hear funny stories. I am assuming that they want to hear about us and that is why they come. Maybe some identify with being parents or pregnant or whatever is going on in our life and they get something from hearing that they aren't the only ones with challenges.

Tonight, I took Sydney to Chic-fil-a to play with friends (of all ages) that are in town this week. She was so excited to be with other kids that she barely ate! She wasn't interested in playing with them really. Just along side them, which is typical for this age, I think. One thing that was glaringly obvious to me was that she has a problem with small fits when she doesn't get her way and she doesn't always come to me when I call her name. Why is it so embarrassing and a big deal when it is in front of other people, but at home it doesn't seem "so bad". I guess it goes back to being less convicted of our sin when it is hidden.

I am aware that the other kids are older than her (well some were, some not) and that most kids hit a stage where this becomes a problem (some never grow out of it-ever. And then we end up working with them!) I am not so worried about her, it is just me that I worried about. I worry that I might be in denial a little bit or becoming desensitized or just tired and distracted (but no excuse!) and I am not addressing it the way that should. Maybe I find ways to excuse the behavior. Maybe I am one of those parents along with my child that people really don't like to be around because of how I respond to her in situations. It is hard because in the middle of the store is not the place to try to tackle a bigger issue. You can correct, but I think at home is the place where the real training happens. The training at home is what will get the desired result after the correction in public. It is hard to know if your expectations are too high or if you are possibly setting them up for failure or "fits". I guess if you don't teach them to obey at home, then you are setting them up for bad behavior. Adam and I both wonder sometimes if she "gets it". The other day I explained it to my friend that Syd wasn't getting in trouble for touching things (we were measuring the new house and she kept picking up our somewhat unsafe tools), but rather the fussing the ensued after she was told not to touch the item. So was she being set up by being around interesting things that she shouldn't touch or should she be expected to obey when asked. Some would say the former and though I can at times almost convince myself of that, I really believe the latter. Now, here is where expectations come into play. Is she old enough to understand what I want her to do? Yes. Is she capable of not fussing about it? Yes. At times she just stops and moves on obediently. Another time she will cry and possible act out against a toy or other unsuspecting object. Am I doing this right? I guess there is always tomorrow. I just can't stop, I have to do better. Being a parent is like being on a diet. Too many "I'll start again on Monday" promises don't produce the best results.

Oh, I forgot to update on our word of the week attempt. Sydney learned to say Shoe and Socks last week. We are working on Please this week. I think it won't be long before our communication barriers will be a thing of the past.

No comments: