Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Back Ache and Leg Cramps: Even Trade or Evil Partners?

I haven't had a leg cramp in a few days so I thought that I might have traded it when I started the back problems. My back has basically incapacitated my left leg. Well at 5 this morning my right leg started to cramp. This was inconvenient to say the least.

Yesterday, I went to the doctor and had my normal appointment. For once, I actually spoke up when she asked if I had been having any problems. Much to Adam's delight, my descriptions of my nausea and back pain earned us an extra ultrasound. As she suspected, my problems are being caused by my short body and a big baby (he is already 5lbs 10 oz. Alas, my cutting out the sugar only controlled my weight...which isn't so bad). Back in her office she said that most surprising thing. " You are a small person, and you can't deliver a 10 pound baby." Adam's response, 10 pounds? My response, You think I am a small person? Thanks! (this is just what a pregnant person needs at this point.) Oh wait, he could be 10 pounds? Yikes! Ok, the 10 pounds is a possibility, but 9 sounds bad too! She said that her mind wasn't made up about a c-section at this point and that we would have another u/s in 4 weeks (I will be 37 then) and at that point the decision would be made. Thankfully, I thought to ask something that I have been wondering (I always forget questions when I am there). If a c-section ends up the way to go for me, when would this be done? Do we have to wait until the due date? She said that she wouldn't want me to go past 39 weeks because of blah blah antibodies and other history (ok, as you can see, I have no idea what she said about the antibodies, but I suspect that I do have some sort of autoimmune problems that they tested me for early on in the year because I had JRA as a child). All I could hear was that we could have the baby early and that there may be an early end to the back pain and the trouble breathing. So now I already have my calendar out and I am planning packing, a move, the last childbirth class (which actually covers c-sections), a tour of the hospital, possible business trip with Adam (by car not plane), doctor's appointments, and the arrival of a round baby boy all in the next 6 1/2 weeks.

My current focus is eating smaller meals throughout the day to help with the sick feeling when I eat too much. He is taking up a lot of room!

4 comments:

Cammie said...

similar situation for me-i went in at 36 weeks, they told me that kate was 10 pounds and that she couldn't wait any more (blood pressure) and that she was a big ol baby and that today was the day. for a c section. so i went in that evening (after the day of a regular checkup) and checked in the hospital, the ultrasound said yes, she is 10 lbs ( i earned an extra ultrasound) and then wham bam thank you cut me open and she came out 7 lbs. she looked so tiny but she was not 10 lbs. but she was 4 weeks early and she was very healthy. so just be prepared! it will be great! i LOVED the c section. it was amazing.

Jessica QW said...

Thanks Cammie for the comment. I know that the u/s can be off a bit, especially later. So what about this insomnia? I think it is 3 AM. Anyway, I have heard that c-sections aren't so bad. I am a planner at heart so this might be ok for me, especially if it is the best thing for the baby.

Maggie Ethridge said...

Dr. S is great about telling you that you're small- she told me the same thing as she prepared me for the option of a C-section or 4th degree tear. Wilson was 8.5 at 38 weeks on the us and then 9.5 at 39 when he was born. She made me wait until 39 to have him using the compelling argument that little white boys can put themselves into the NICU very easily. My question was- don't you think some of that 8.5 lbs is lungs and isn't that what the state of the art NICU is there for?! I was over ruled.

Jessica QW said...

The one thing that will probably keep me from trying to get a c section early (if in fact that is what she recommends after the last u/s) will be the fact that we will most likely be moving (at least out of our current house, but hopefully into a house of our own) the week before! Talk about cutting things close.