Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Come to my window...

It is a strange thing letting people into your little world. I guess that is what blogs are supposed to do. Being honest is a way to connect to people. They see that we are a lot alike. If it showed the perfect life then you might be bored with this blog and move on. To be honest, I am not sure how many people actually look at this thing anymore. At first I thought, what on earth would I write about? I have nothing to say. I guess I really don't, especially now. I started it to give updates on the baby. I still will do that but there is only so much that is interesting to other people. But I have always been a story teller. Even if they aren't particularly good, I will tell them. I am even entertained by the reactions that the bad stories get. I guess you could say I am humored by the human (and non-human, like my dog) response, even if it is at my expense. Don't get me wrong, I am not a button pusher or a shock value enthusiast. I might be considered a line crosser at times and maybe I push something just to the limit, but aren't most people that way? Isn't that the tactic most people use to get what they want? I just think life is funny, in a Seinfeld/The Office sort of way. I used to laugh at everything – all the time. Even if it wasn't appropriate ( i.e. funerals, class, church). In high school my friend, Tuesday, and I were notorious for our giggles. So much, in fact, that we earn some sort of award or public recognition for it in one of those cheesy senior class "remember when" things. I think it went something like this …Remember when Jessica and Tuesday weren't laughing? We don't!... Hardy, har, har. You probably weren't laughing because you didn't get it.

From an early age, I always had a "great" idea and my friends actually started saying "oh, no!" when I said the dreaded words, "I have an idea". Hey, they did not have to participate. They were free to make that decision after they heard the components of the idea/plan. But I think they knew all to well that one of my ideas could end up with us locked in a one stall bathroom, in the principal's office explaining a very incriminating note, being left downtown at night at the closing of Jubilee Jam, being chased by a bull in a neighbors field, or quite possibly dressed like a construction worker reciting Shakespeare to a large group. Like I said, no one made them participate. But they always did. I guess that is a little of my brother coming out in me. I am convinced that He could convince you to do or believe anything - at least that is what he told me. I guess you could say that I am creative. I like a challenge and I can usually come up with a way to spice things up a bit. I am responsible for several A+ grades for my fellow students when I came up with the idea to do our assigned section of Hamlet as the Village People with a surprise ending featuring a routine to YMCA. Now that is entertainment, people! If you don't believe me just ask my aunt, Cherri, I think I remember her being at one of the practices. I guess blogging in a way allows me to continue the creativity. It does make you sensor yourself more than you would in a diary and, since diaries are meant to be stolen by your brother and/or found when you are gone, this is a good thing. It teaches you to write what is important to the story and you get to see when you failed to convey something the way you had, originally, hoped. Putting your thoughts down helps you sort how you are feeling and I think it makes your conversation style more concise. I see now why writing is important. I didn't get that in high school and I ignored the "rules" of paragraph construction (I know you must have noticed this). I hesitate every time I hit the comma button because I know it probably doesn't belong there and I also know that perspicacious people in the punctuation world are reading this and it bugs them to no end that they can't edit. But I would read and recite anything put in front of me. While I was writing this post a friend asked me, by email, what I thought about blogs, listing several typical downfalls (overly intellectual, overly homemakerly, and overly boring). I am sitting here thinking that I know I am not two of those... It actually helped me sort out what I think about them and why they are so interesting/cool. This is an excerpt of my response.

...Blogging brings people together!! ...My friends might check out some of his (Adam) music links or his friends might read my friends' blogs. Family looking for pictures of Sydney will see what kind of books we read and movies we like. Maybe I am romanticising it a bit...;-) I just think it is neat to read about other people's life and see what it is really like. With some blogs, you get to read what is in their heads. It is like peeking into the windows of someone else's house. You are just curious to see if they have the same decorating style as you do...

So there, I have attempted to be overly intellectual, overly boring, and overly...wait I wasn't overly homemakerly. Well I got to go churn some butter before Adam gets home.
J


No comments: