Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cell Phone

May I rant? What is the deal with cell phones? Will the world ever be the same? What if I were asking all these questions loudly while on my phone in line at the grocery? Or perhaps as we are driving down the road together and I answer my phone mid-conversation? I am really surprised at the lack of courtesy in cell phone use. Sometimes it can be annoying to be reached at any point. Here are list of offenses and my thoughts on them. Keep in mind I do these too.

  1. Calling people's cell phone first, when they just might be at home. Some people prefer this because they have it on them at all times. This is usually found in the younger.
  2. Leaving an unnecessary message when you know that they will call you back based on the missed call notice on their phone. I hate checking that thing because it makes you listen to the whole message before you can delete it.
  3. Answering your phone while you are in a face-to-face conversation with someone, perhaps in a car or at dinner in a restaurant. I understand this because the person might really need to talk to you, but you can say "excuse me" before answering it and keep the call to a minimum?
  4. Asking "where are you?" Sometimes this is appropriate such as to gage when someone will be arriving or to ascertain if the person is in a good place to talk (but even on this one can't we just say "can you talk?") What if the person doesn't want to say "where they are"?
  5. Not believing that it is ok to let the call go and call the person later. If they called your home you wouldn't have someone waiting there to say "I will call you back later". This should be understood by the fact that they are leaving one of those unnecessary messages or they are cool enough to just let the missed call number speak for itself.
  6. Deciding not to answer the phone in a public place and just letting it ring until it reaches voicemail. There is a reject call /send it to voice mail feature and it is usually just one button.
  7. Forgetting to silence it in church or a movie. My mom maintains that her phone has a life of its own and the does silence it, but it finds its way back to ringing. This was the case a few weeks ago in church. The best part is that her purse was under my seat and she was on the row in front of me. I had to run out with the purse and it looked like it was me.

I am sure there are more.

No comments: