Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Parenthood


Last night we fried catfish with friends and Sydney was having such a good time that we just let her stay up way past her bedtime. She is now taking the world's longest nap this morning. While I should be taking advantage of this time to clean and get the house in showing condition, I am too tired after staying awake after yet another strange dream. Instead I have been reading our former blog from the beginning. I love all the comments. So many people were right behind us. It feels good to have so many people in our lives so willing to give help and advice when we need it. Man, that feels like a million years ago. I can't help but think that having a new baby will remind me of that experience. Isn't that funny? They are so different, but I just know that the feelings are exactly the same. Worry, anxiety, joy, happiness.

Adam and I couldn't enjoy being parents more than we have the past year and three months. It is amazing to us to see this little thing walking around and we are responsible for taking care of her. It feels like a privilege. Lately, we have had some problems with little butter bean (Sydney) fussing a lot and we have felt discouraged and worried that maybe we haven't been doing what we could have/should have as far as correction and this is the result. It isn't fun staying on her, but we are already seeing the improvement and it makes you very proud as a parent to see your baby learn and grow from correction. She has such a sweet personality. She is so sensitive! (What are we in for?) Last night she saw little Will O. fall and being tough he just got up. (What is funny is that Sydney probably would have to.) She just broke down when she saw him fall and walked over to Adam and cried in his lap. We told her that he was fine and to go see if he was ok and she got down and tried to pat him on the head.

Even after a year we rush in to get her when she wakes up. We talk constantly about how cute she is. Though I know we can always do better, our constant devotion is to training her to be the girl God wants her to be. Now what about Butter Bean II ? We just can't wait for him to be here (and for more reasons than the hot weather I will have to endure). Adam finally was able to feel him move instead of just kick. It makes it real to feel some body part pushing back when you push them. Last night he was rolling around and it felt as real as if he were here kicking me in bed. I know Adam is ready for my emotional mini-breakdowns to end. Yesterday I bought three boxes of some special oatmeal that I am addicted to because apparently they aren't going to make it anymore. Being lazy, I left the boxes on the counter and they got wet later when the cutting board formed a channel for the water while Adam was washing dishes. The boxes soaked up the water and the oatmeal's integrity was compromised. This upset me and I blamed myself for not putting the oatmeal away as I should have done. Adam's response..."I am not equipped to understand this situation". Oh, sweet Adam. He makes me laugh.

No comments: