Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkin Patch: A commentary.

We went to the pumpkin patch and had the best day! Here are a few pictures of us enjoying the day! You believe me don't you? When I got home and looked at the pictures, I was almost convinced that we had fun too. The trip was to a great place, was well organized and I totally appreciate the work that went into planning it, but for me it was not what I was imagining. I can now find humor in it and since I love to laugh I can say it was worth it to me. It serves to remind me that as I flip through the pages of the recently received Pottery Barn Kids Christmas catalog I should understand that ordering the cute pink kitchen set doesn't guarantee that my child won't slam her finger in the refrigerator door or that ordering the perfect bedding doesn't make my child want to stay in the bed all night. I seem to forget that when I see pictures of cute kids named Taylor and Madison standing outside of their ski lodge with all their monogrammed luggage. In our world, we would lose a piece of the luggage or one the kids would plummet off of the lodge porch and break his arm. I, being a planner and a dreamer at the same time, usually set myself up for disappointment. You get my point I think. Well, here are the pictures.


PBK (Pottery Barn Kids) Version: Just a fun group on a farm having so much fun.
Reality: Standing in line in the blazing sun only to end up facing the sun (notice the squinting) while someone takes your picture with a fun saver camera.

PBK: Sydney frolicking amongst the pumpkins as she tries to pick the perfect one.
Reality: Sydney tripping over roots and uneven ground as she cries, not caring about the pumpkins.

PBK: The cool breeze was so nice, look at how my hair blows across my face! The perfect day for jeans and corduroy. I am glad I have Morgan close to me so I can keep him warm from the cool weather!
Reality: My hair wasn't blowing anywhere. It was actually stuck to my face due to the sweat from the heat of the blazing sun and carrying a 16 pound baby on the front of me. Glad I forgot my sunglasses!


Ok, I do love this picture because she loves animals and it just shows her excitement upon seeing a turkey. (Note that the sweater was on for the very beginning pictures) Sydney basically ran from us most of the time and as the guide lady said "some of you may not be accustomed to forming lines".

PBK: Pumpkins for sale!
Reality: Free kid with purchase of pumpkin.

PBK: I want this one!
Reality: I just fell for the 5th time.

PBK: Let's get a bunny for Easter!
Reality: First we should find the bunny from last year and then we will talk.

PBK: Having kids is so great!
Reality: Having kids is so great. Even when you have a rough day or two.

5 comments:

Laura Young said...

love your commentary. love sydney's outfit, too. with or without the sweater. one more day till a day of freedom!!

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious and sadly quite representative of the "hell on a hayride" as I endearingly refer to that glorious day. At least now I can't be tempted to lie on my blog about how it was just the best time for all; for the kids, yeah, but for me...I'd be lying if I said so ;-)

Cammie said...

that was so funny. i'll never go on a hayride ever thanks to your post.
haha.

Anonymous said...

Jessica that was hilarious!
I think every mother can identify with you.
Maybe that's why pictures are so important to us mothers. We want to remember the "Pottery Barn" version of the day instead of the reality of it and next year you'll fool yourself into doing it all again! :-)

Maggie Ethridge said...

Great post. The PBK version of our halloween: Mom spends hours lovingly transforming a plane frog costume into the monster that her preschooler literally dreamed of. Reality: He refused to EVER put the whole thing on, CRIED through the costume parade at school, and didn't trick or treat, just wore the monster pants and handed out candy to the maybe 10 kids that came by our house.

We all sympathize.