Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Speed of Light

I have often wondered how days home with children can seem super long, yet it feels like time is passing by so quickly. I think that I have decided that I don't need Mother's Morning Out next fall. Please understand that I do need a morning or two out, I just don't think that it is long enough for me to actually get things done. I would do better with a babysitter one day a week. I just haven't found a consistent solution (or even a inconsistent one, which would help too). There are so many things that I need to do and it seems like I just can't get them done in the time that I have to myself. Naps never seem long enough to pull out the projects. Feedings are too unpredictable to count on any span of time. I only dare to take the kids to places that have shopping carts, though I don't try it often. When we moved into the house, I thought I would be able to just put our stuff in here and live. Now, I see that there are projects around every corner. Some are fun projects, like finding something to hang on the kids walls. Some are not fun, like installing a back door. The list is so long and when I try to prioritize it all, I realize how long it is going to take us to do things ourselves. For that very reason, I took the fabric I bought for our bedroom curtains to someone else to sew. The 4-6 week turn around was what was keeping me from doing it, but I realized that it would take me that long to finally complete it and there is no way it would look as nice. I do think that I will have a stab at the kids curtains. I will update you on my progress. For now, help me out by answering the survey above...

2 comments:

Maggie Ethridge said...

I'm totally feeling your pain on the projects list and I still have one more week until we move! In response to your survey, they are all good options. There are times that I feel like it would be a good idea to completely complete one room at a time from the paint on the walls to the hardware on the door and the accessories in between. However, I know given my circumstance of EVERYTHING needing to be done our house is going to end up being a hodge podge of projects over the next few years. And that's the hardest part for me-knowing it won't be finished in the next few months! When you see something you really love, it's silly to pass it up, just because that's not the present room your working on, but then unfortunately, that cuts into the budget for the current room- AHHHH. The frustration of remodeling! But that does sort of help on the question of should you buy "just for now things". I would hold off on those unless they are "long term temporary" solutions. Example: we really needed formal dining room furniture- I have tons of antique china in addition to my own china and christmas china and it could not stay on the floor with the dogs running around. So we purchased a suite that we really like but it's probably not what we'll have when we're 50. But it is what we've used since the month we moved into this house 5 years ago and is what we'll have for at least another 5 years or more, many more. So, while a temporary solution, it is long term and worth the money we spent. In the words of Wilson, "does that make sense?"

If you get this remodeling and entire house with small kids thing figured out please let me know! :)

Jessica QW said...

You just wait and see how interesting it is...